OpenVSP 3.2.3 is a periodic update. Nothing huge here shoving it out the door, but enough good things have accumulated in the last month that a release should be useful to people. Both fixes and features, everyone should update.
- Added slew control to skinning. Slew controls the direction of surface curves ‘in’ the surface – where Angle is ‘out’ of the surface.
- Change default skinning parameters to simulate v2′s Fuse2 component.
- Export wireframe as Plot3D file (thanks Joe Derlaga)
- Improve nearest point search algorithms in Code-Eli should help CFDMesh and FitModel.
- Cache derivative calculations in Code-Eli – should speed CFDMesh some
- Added reversed triangle detection and removal to CFDMesh
- Tweaked CFD
… Read more
OpenVSP 3.2.2 is another bugfix release. Some small, but a few that have been longstanding problems. Everyone should update to get the benefit of these fixes.
- Specify units when writing STEP files.
- Specify dimensional tolerance when writing STEP files.
- Fix wing updating with zero tip chord, zero taper, etc.
- VSPAERO Remove additional swirl component in front of actuator disk.
- Fix airfoil trimming bug introduced in 3.2.1
- Eliminate divide by zero for trim/closure parameters with zero chord.
- Fix bug introduced when DegenGeom GUI was made programmatic.
… Read more
OpenVSP 3.2.1 is a release of mostly bugfixes. Most of the fixes are small items expected to accompany a big release like 3.2.0. However, the most significant fix has been a problem with all of v3. So, although it is small, everyone should go ahead and update.
- Background control GUI converted to be programmatic
- Fix inconsistent orientation of triangles from CompGeom
- Fix orientation of symmetrical actuator disk normal vectors
- Improve feature lines and XSec highlights with blunt trailing edges
- Don’t write un-needed Matlab DegenGeom file for VSPAERO
… Read more
OpenVSP 3.2.0 is the first feature release in a while — there is a lot of great stuff included to make it well worth the wait.
Check out the highlights video.
Blunt trailing edges — Wing section TE’s can now be blunt. Airfoil files with a gap between the TE points will be left that way (re-read your files on existing models to get this behavior). Airfoil curves can be modified to thicken or sharpen the TE; they can also be trimmed to blunt the TE. The sharp corners have parameter values W=0.001 and 0.999, use these values when creating subsurfaces or attaching to the corner.
A negative volume flag has been added to components to cause them to poke holes in CFDMesh. In all other cases, these components have normal behavior. This should be useful for … Read more
OpenVSP Version 3.1.2
OpenVSP 3.1.2 fixes a few bugs and makes the API more complete.
Features and additions
- Add control of wing root incidence. Thanks Jeff Viken.
- Add container routines to API for User Parms. Thanks Erik Olson & James Haley.
- Add file airfoil routines to API. Thanks Yohann Delannay.
- Fix problem with slashes in file names. Thanks Bill Fredericks.
- Include OpenMP dll’s on Windows. Thanks Bill & Brandon Litherland.
- Fix VSPAERO problem with long path -setup. Thanks Brandon.
- Fix nonexistent component IDs in VSPAERO Manager. Thanks Brandon.
… Read more
OpenVSP 3.1.1 fixes a bunch of small issues that quickly cropped up in 3.1.0. Thanks to everyone who helped find and diagnose these problems.
- Built-in favorite paths not appending trailing /. Reported by Alex Gary.
- Correct omission of SECSWEEP_WSECT_DRIVER from API. Reported by Yohann Delannay.
- Fix issue of displaying duplicate custom components. Reported by Jim Fenbert.
- Force static linking of GCC supplied libraries. Reported by Bryan Morrisey.
- Improve status checking and button de/activate for VSPAERO.
- Properly quote Windows commands with spaces. Reported by Alex Gary.
… Read more
OpenVSP 3.1.0 brings the much awaited release of VSPAERO, the new vortex lattice solver that has been developed to be a part of OpenVSP. There are a few other improvements and fixes, but I’m certain everyone will want to update to get their hands on VSPAERO.
VSPAERO is a thin-surface code for inviscid subsonic and supersonic aerodynamics. It is multithreaded to make the most of common multi-core computers and uses a mesh agglomeration scheme to improve scaling with large meshes. The matrix is solved with an iterative GMRES solver. VSPAERO includes a simple actuator disk model to represent propulsion-airframe interaction and also the ability to calculate common stability derivatives.
Check out this introductory video on VSPAERO.
Improvements and additio… Read more
The OpenVSP Hangar has been updated to support v3 files.
To upload a v3 file, just follow the normal procedure. The Hangar will detect the file version and will automatically tag the file so users can search based on the version number.
One of the great new features of OpenVSP v3 is the addition of user-defined custom components. The Hangar provides a great way to share these components too.
To share a custom component, just create a model containing a default instance of your user-defined component. Upload that model to the Hangar and tag your file with ‘custom component’ for everyone to see and share. Any custom component may be extracted to a stand-alone *.vsppart file by saving it from the ‘Type Editor’ GUI. … Read more
OpenVSP Workshop 2015
We are pleased to announce that the 2015 OpenVSP Workshop will be hosted on the East Coast this year.
Please save the dates of August 11-13. We will be holding the workshop at the National Institute of Aerospace in Hampton, VA.
As before, the OpenVSP Workshop consists of presentations and tutorials by VSP developers and power users. Topics range from introductory to advanced model building, reports on cutting edge development, and work that real users are accomplishing with OpenVSP.
Given the major redesign of Version 3.x.x and the influx of new users, we will focus the first day (8/11) on beginners and those who would like a thorough run through the entire interactive interface and explanation of the parameters. We will also present what we have … Read more
OpenVSP Version 3.0.4
OpenVSP 3.0.4 is mostly a bug fix release. This should fix a bunch of issues with DegenGeom in preparation for things to come. Also fixed are a bunch of problems with 6-series and file airfoil types. Anyone using v3 should certainly update.
Bug fixes in this release include:
- Six series leading edge creep
- Crash for very thin six series airfoils
- Fix problem copy/pasting file airfoils
- Update overall wing aspect ratio display
- Don’t deselect Geom when executing DegenGeom
- Fix sign assumption in z camber of DegenGeom for reflex or inverted foil
- Make export file names match primary file name
- Save Vehicle level parameters including file save options
- Fix wing updating when total parameters changed
- Enable extracting point cloud from slices
… Read more