OpenVSP Version 3.1.2
OpenVSP 3.1.2 fixes a few bugs and makes the API more complete.
Features and additions
- Add control of wing root incidence. Thanks Jeff Viken.
- Add container routines to API for User Parms. Thanks Erik Olson & James Haley.
- Add file airfoil routines to API. Thanks Yohann Delannay.
- Fix problem with slashes in file names. Thanks Bill Fredericks.
- Include OpenMP dll’s on Windows. Thanks Bill & Brandon Litherland.
- Fix VSPAERO problem with long path -setup. Thanks Brandon.
- Fix nonexistent component IDs in VSPAERO Manager. Thanks Brandon.
… Read more
Many of you may have seen the articles and videos about NASA’s Greased Lightning GL-10 first transition flight earlier this week. If you didn’t see the articles, here is a press release from NASA. And a direct link to the video.
What you may not know is that Bill Fredericks – the guy who has managed the project, and whose voice you hear in the video – is a VSP power user. Bill is often the first one to put new features to the test, break them, and to let us know how we should have done it. He also does a great job teaching intro and advanced modeling techniques at the Workshop.
If you want to read up on the design of the Greased Lightning, there is a great overview paper available on NTRS. OpenVSP was used to model each of the alternatives and the final OML of th… Read more
OpenVSP 3.1.1 fixes a bunch of small issues that quickly cropped up in 3.1.0. Thanks to everyone who helped find and diagnose these problems.
- Built-in favorite paths not appending trailing /. Reported by Alex Gary.
- Correct omission of SECSWEEP_WSECT_DRIVER from API. Reported by Yohann Delannay.
- Fix issue of displaying duplicate custom components. Reported by Jim Fenbert.
- Force static linking of GCC supplied libraries. Reported by Bryan Morrisey.
- Improve status checking and button de/activate for VSPAERO.
- Properly quote Windows commands with spaces. Reported by Alex Gary.
… Read more
OpenVSP 3.1.0 brings the much awaited release of VSPAERO, the new vortex lattice solver that has been developed to be a part of OpenVSP. There are a few other improvements and fixes, but I’m certain everyone will want to update to get their hands on VSPAERO.
VSPAERO is a thin-surface code for inviscid subsonic and supersonic aerodynamics. It is multithreaded to make the most of common multi-core computers and uses a mesh agglomeration scheme to improve scaling with large meshes. The matrix is solved with an iterative GMRES solver. VSPAERO includes a simple actuator disk model to represent propulsion-airframe interaction and also the ability to calculate common stability derivatives.
Check out this introductory video on VSPAERO.
Improvements and additio… Read more
The OpenVSP Hangar has been updated to support v3 files.
To upload a v3 file, just follow the normal procedure. The Hangar will detect the file version and will automatically tag the file so users can search based on the version number.
One of the great new features of OpenVSP v3 is the addition of user-defined custom components. The Hangar provides a great way to share these components too.
To share a custom component, just create a model containing a default instance of your user-defined component. Upload that model to the Hangar and tag your file with ‘custom component’ for everyone to see and share. Any custom component may be extracted to a stand-alone *.vsppart file by saving it from the ‘Type Editor’ GUI. … Read more
OpenVSP Workshop 2015
We are pleased to announce that the 2015 OpenVSP Workshop will be hosted on the East Coast this year.
Please save the dates of August 11-13. We will be holding the workshop at the National Institute of Aerospace in Hampton, VA.
As before, the OpenVSP Workshop consists of presentations and tutorials by VSP developers and power users. Topics range from introductory to advanced model building, reports on cutting edge development, and work that real users are accomplishing with OpenVSP.
Given the major redesign of Version 3.x.x and the influx of new users, we will focus the first day (8/11) on beginners and those who would like a thorough run through the entire interactive interface and explanation of the parameters. We will also present what we have … Read more
OpenVSP Version 3.0.4
OpenVSP 3.0.4 is mostly a bug fix release. This should fix a bunch of issues with DegenGeom in preparation for things to come. Also fixed are a bunch of problems with 6-series and file airfoil types. Anyone using v3 should certainly update.
Bug fixes in this release include:
- Six series leading edge creep
- Crash for very thin six series airfoils
- Fix problem copy/pasting file airfoils
- Update overall wing aspect ratio display
- Don’t deselect Geom when executing DegenGeom
- Fix sign assumption in z camber of DegenGeom for reflex or inverted foil
- Make export file names match primary file name
- Save Vehicle level parameters including file save options
- Fix wing updating when total parameters changed
- Enable extracting point cloud from slices
… Read more
OpenVSP Version 3.0.3
OpenVSP 3.0.3 includes a handful of bug fixes and small improvements to the 3.0 series. Versions 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 included quick fixes for urgent last minute bugs — but they did not include a complete release note.
API Users Note:
The calling arguments in four functions were changed: CutXSec, CopyXSec, PasteXSec, and InsertXSec. See Wiki for details.
Improvements since 3.0.0 include:
- Extend API to allow changing Wing Driver Groups
- Add VSPExit to API to return exit value to host batch environment
- Add DegenGeom to API / Scripting
- API now references Cut/Copy/Past/Insert XSec to Geom not XSecSurf
Bug fixes since 3.0.0 include:
- Fix crash caused by dynamic Parm GUIs and undo-friendly sliders (3.0.1)
- Fix crash when mixing 4-digit airf
… Read more
Version 3.0.0 compared to version 2.3.0 includes too many changes and improvements to list. OpenVSP v3 is a near total re-write that has been three years in the works. Many thanks to the entire core OpenVSP team. This is what you’ve all been waiting for!
Since 2.9.7, version 3.0.0 has a handful of small fixes and features, and one major new feature that has long been in development.
- Fit Model tool to perform least squares fit of VSP model to points
- Point Cloud Geoms to support Fit Model
- Import of point clouds as well as conversion from MeshGeom
- Improved Undo, where slider actions are not recorded
- SubSurface support in API
- Improvements to advanced parameter linking.
… Read more
This version includes some nice improvements, but also a bunch of small bug fixes that have been preventing people from getting work done. If you’ve been hitting these, you’ll certainly want to update.
- Issue error when you try to set secondary & primary sweep location equal
- New NACA 4-Digit airfoil code, much improved representation of shape
- Custom components now support scaling
- Custom components now support default sources
- Custom components now support set center of rotation
- Custom components now support surface type flag setting
- Can now edit name, group, description of user parameters
Bug fixes include:
- Fix scripting on Linux – scripting, custom components, advanced links
- Improve robustness of triangle spl
… Read more