The OpenVSP Hangar has been updated to support v3 files.
To upload a v3 file, just follow the normal procedure. The Hangar will detect the file version and will automatically tag the file so users can search based on the version number.
One of the great new features of OpenVSP v3 is the addition of user-defined custom components. The Hangar provides a great way to share these components too.
To share a custom component, just create a model containing a default instance of your user-defined component. Upload that model to the Hangar and tag your file with ‘custom component’ for everyone to see and share. Any custom component may be extracted to a stand-alone *.vsppart file by saving it from the ‘Type Editor’ GUI. … Read more
OpenVSP Workshop 2015
We are pleased to announce that the 2015 OpenVSP Workshop will be hosted on the East Coast this year.
Please save the dates of August 11-13. We will be holding the workshop at the National Institute of Aerospace in Hampton, VA.
As before, the OpenVSP Workshop consists of presentations and tutorials by VSP developers and power users. Topics range from introductory to advanced model building, reports on cutting edge development, and work that real users are accomplishing with OpenVSP.
Given the major redesign of Version 3.x.x and the influx of new users, we will focus the first day (8/11) on beginners and those who would like a thorough run through the entire interactive interface and explanation of the parameters. We will also present what we have … Read more
OpenVSP Version 3.0.4
OpenVSP 3.0.4 is mostly a bug fix release. This should fix a bunch of issues with DegenGeom in preparation for things to come. Also fixed are a bunch of problems with 6-series and file airfoil types. Anyone using v3 should certainly update.
Bug fixes in this release include:
- Six series leading edge creep
- Crash for very thin six series airfoils
- Fix problem copy/pasting file airfoils
- Update overall wing aspect ratio display
- Don’t deselect Geom when executing DegenGeom
- Fix sign assumption in z camber of DegenGeom for reflex or inverted foil
- Make export file names match primary file name
- Save Vehicle level parameters including file save options
- Fix wing updating when total parameters changed
- Enable extracting point cloud from slices
… Read more
OpenVSP Version 3.0.3
OpenVSP 3.0.3 includes a handful of bug fixes and small improvements to the 3.0 series. Versions 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 included quick fixes for urgent last minute bugs — but they did not include a complete release note.
API Users Note:
The calling arguments in four functions were changed: CutXSec, CopyXSec, PasteXSec, and InsertXSec. See Wiki for details.
Improvements since 3.0.0 include:
- Extend API to allow changing Wing Driver Groups
- Add VSPExit to API to return exit value to host batch environment
- Add DegenGeom to API / Scripting
- API now references Cut/Copy/Past/Insert XSec to Geom not XSecSurf
Bug fixes since 3.0.0 include:
- Fix crash caused by dynamic Parm GUIs and undo-friendly sliders (3.0.1)
- Fix crash when mixing 4-digit airf
… Read more
Version 3.0.0 compared to version 2.3.0 includes too many changes and improvements to list. OpenVSP v3 is a near total re-write that has been three years in the works. Many thanks to the entire core OpenVSP team. This is what you’ve all been waiting for!
Since 2.9.7, version 3.0.0 has a handful of small fixes and features, and one major new feature that has long been in development.
- Fit Model tool to perform least squares fit of VSP model to points
- Point Cloud Geoms to support Fit Model
- Import of point clouds as well as conversion from MeshGeom
- Improved Undo, where slider actions are not recorded
- SubSurface support in API
- Improvements to advanced parameter linking.
… Read more
This version includes some nice improvements, but also a bunch of small bug fixes that have been preventing people from getting work done. If you’ve been hitting these, you’ll certainly want to update.
- Issue error when you try to set secondary & primary sweep location equal
- New NACA 4-Digit airfoil code, much improved representation of shape
- Custom components now support scaling
- Custom components now support default sources
- Custom components now support set center of rotation
- Custom components now support surface type flag setting
- Can now edit name, group, description of user parameters
Bug fixes include:
- Fix scripting on Linux – scripting, custom components, advanced links
- Improve robustness of triangle spl
… Read more
OpenVSP has joined Twitter to provide followers with updates, links to blog posts, tutorials, and all things OpenVSP. Follow us @OpenVSP.… Read more
This version includes more small fixes and feature refinements as we inch closer to version 3.0.
- Symmetry about ancestor’s coordinate system
- Default Source support for CFDMesh
- Rearrange Geom Browser tab to show larger geom trees
- Added Delete, Set Show/NoShow/ShowOnly, and surface None buttons
- Expand custom geom #include statements and save with geom
- Added GetCustomXSecLoc/Rot and GDEV_SCROLL_TAB
Bug fixes include:
- Numerous surface parameter [0,1] bugs that could cause crashes.
- Consistent triangle orientation for NASCART import/export
- Fix skinning bugs & tweak GUI
- Fix wing scaling
… Read more
This version includes a large number of changes both features and fixes. Some of these fixes took longer than expected — and one of the features is pretty big, so this release took much longer than anticipated. Look for subsequent releases to be smaller and more frequent as the bugs are chased out.
Warning: One bug fix required an incompatible change in how skinning is calculated. If you have used a Fuselage or Stack component with skinning, you will need to adjust your tangent strengths — the geometry will be wrong when you open it. I am very sorry for this inconvenience.
Note: The file extension for custom components has been changed from .as to .vsppart. Similarly, the file extension for scripting has been changed from .as to .vspscr… Read more
The first public alpha release of the v3 re-write of VSP is now available for download. Please take it for a test drive. For real work, please continue using 2.3.0.
For the past two years, a dedicated team has been re-writing VSP from the ground up. The core v3 team responsible for this work so far is: Alex Gary, J.R. Gloudemans, Yue Han, David Marshall, and Rob McDonald.
The v3 effort is a major refactoring and rewriting of VSP. Although it should look/feel mostly the same to casual users, everything is different under the hood. I will write a series of blog posts in the coming weeks on the user-visible changes and how to make the most of them.
The alpha series will be numbered 2.9.X, leading to an eventual production-ready 3.0.0. This alpha release is not for production use. It … Read more